Monday, March 19, 2012

Michener's Sayonara (spoilers)

Hana-ogi:

Rroyd, Rhroyd,
When you kissed me at Bitchi-bashi,
A good punishing smooch,
I knew you were the tall stud of substance,
I had longed and waited for.

It was but the work of a moment to,
Lay your head in my lap,
Then tumble you by the Shinto shrine.
You felt millions of eyes on you,
But had eyes only for my golden glamour.

You could no more resist carnal thrill,
Than the revelation of whole to whole,
The cohabitation of one in another.
We needed no common tongue to build,
A world away, rapturous, and auto-catalyzing.

But you, you simple and lovable fool,
With your beefhead Broadway blathering,
Dreaming yourself an architect, of setting me free,
Unwilling to forsake your foundation,
Yet demanding it of me.

In the end it was eyes you lacked,
For my, our, the multivocality,
And your own home-love hypocrisy.
Japan was never a place for you,
You were a place for Japan.

And so when your friend blew his brains out,
And mine stuck a knife through her neck,
I went to Tokyo knowing the future.
A succession of small rooms and big stages,
Discipline, promotion, bellicosity,

And an end to love.

Roy Gruver:

Hayano-chan,
Lo the postillion,
Takusan-love for the tadpole on my pillow,
I'm the one's been struck by lightning,
That will never strike again.

Note: First of a series of poems on books I read.

No comments: